First Level Assessment- Land Use History of the Pollett River watershed

Mining Practices
A short-lived lime burning operation produced agricultural lime for the use of local farmers. It came from a now abandoned limestone quarry west of the community of Pollett River (Goudge 1934).

Other Practices
In 1910 an earth and concrete dam was built 10 kilometers above the mouth of the river to serve the Jordan Memorial Sanatorium. This institution was established at a community called The Glades, near Kay settlement, as part of a Provincial effort to treat tuberculosis (Elson 1962). The fish ladder was destroyed in the mid 1930’s, and the dam became a barrier to fish passage until 1950 when a new fishway was built. This dam has since been removed as have all of the other dams along the Pollett.